- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (can use butter if preferred)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 32 ounce container low-sodium chicken broth (4-5 cups)
- 2 large heads broccoli (florets removed, you can discard stems; about two pounds)
- 6 cups fresh packed spinach
- 1-2 cups coconut milk (optional)
- kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- shredded parmesan or cheddar, for topping (optional)
Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté until soft and translucent, about five minutes. Add minced garlic and cook another minute or two. Add chicken broth, spinach and 2/3 of broccoli florets. Simmer, covered, at least 20 minutes and up to one hour.
Add coconut milk to pot. Puree mixture with a hand blender or in batches in a high-powered regular blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add remaining broccoli florets and simmer until crisp-tender, about another 15 minutes.
Serve soup as is or top with shredded parmesan or stir in a little shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.