For the Salad:
- 1 ¼ lb. Brussels sprouts, shredded
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced (about ¼ cup; may substitute red onion)
- 5-6 strips no sugar turkey bacon, crisp-cooked and chopped
- 3 dates
- ⅓ cup pecans chopped
For the Dressing:
- 1 medium lemon, zested and juiced
- ½ small orange, juiced
- 1 date
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2/3 cup avocado oil (may substitute olive oil)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. dried thyme (or ¾ – 1 tsp. fresh thyme)
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients (lemon juice through thyme) in a blender container. Blend until emulsified and smooth. Set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place shredded Brussels sprouts in a large bowl.
- Add shallots, turkey bacon and chopped dates. Toss to combine, using your fingers to separate the dates if they’ve clumped together.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss.
- Add pecans just before serving and toss well to combine.
Modified from The Real Food RDS