- 1 large butternut squash, about 2-3 lbs, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into 6-8 large chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tart apples, peeled, quartered, and cored
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp mild chili powder (use more if you want more “bite”)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large roasting pan, combine the squash, apple, onion, garlic, and oil. Season with salt to taste, and sprinkle with chili powder. Roast for 45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes, until veggies are tender and lightly browned. In a food processor, combine half of the roasted veggies with 2 cups broth and puree until smooth. Repeat with the remaining veggies and heat over medium heat in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Add more broth as needed if soup is too thick. Add more salt and chili powder if needed for more bite.